Setting up a small furnace

I've challenged myself to try something new and interesting. To be honest I like to teach myself new skills, if I don't do that life will surely be super boring. I've decided to try bronze casting. I am not planning on spending a lot of money on equipment just to try something out, but also wouldn't want to struggle without the basic equipment.

furnace, materials, diy, melting bronze, foundry
Some of the materials that I am going to use to build the furnace. A refractory blanket, crucible and proper coal.


After a lot of thinking I've decided on using coal instead of gas. I hope I am not going to regret that choice because gas is fast, effective, clean and cheap. My main motivation behind this choice is safety. My knowledge about gas is very limited.

The setup is very basic. The furnace will be made from refractory blanket. I've already got a proper crucible. Everything needs to be assembled. I also want to weld a tong and a pouring bar.

furnace, refractory blanket, ceramic blanket, foundry, bronze, DIY
Two layers of the refractory blanket is reinforced with wire mesh to form the basic furnace. 

My first test would be to see if I can reach 1,085°C (the melting point of copper). If the copper do melt I plan to either add lead, aluminum or tin (if I can find any). The first cast will definitely not be the "lost wax process" but rater the "lost foam" process as it is a lot less trouble in case things don't work out. 

Comments

Popular Posts