Growing an avocado tree

I've decided to grow a few fruit trees. I've already germinated two Mango trees from seed and this weekend while working on my first painting made from our own pigment we had an avocado to snack on. I've seen millions of videos and websites and heard from so many people how easy it is to grow avo from seed that I simply have to give it a go.

Avocado, mango, seed, growing, diy, easy,
On the left is the avocado seed that I've started germinating. On the right is a young mango plant grown from a seed.  

Before I've placed the Avocado seed in the water I have removed the thin skin covering the seed. Once I've removed the skin I've noticed that the seed have already started sprouting. You can see the root at the bottom of the seed. 

I've read that its going to take a while before I can harvest any fruit... it takes about 10 - 20 years for the avocado tree to produce fruit. If you need avocados earlier, buying a tree might not be a bad idea. Another thing to keep in mind is that the fruit where you got the seed is not going to be the same as the fruit that your tree will have. Knowing all of this I still feel that it is very enriching to have something growing in my studio/office.

 

Comments

Popular Posts