Lost wax casting wax recipe.

For about the last three days I've spent quite some time finding the perfect wax for lost wax casting. Buying proper microcrystalline wax surely sounds like the best option however the shipping time is a bit long for me, and I need the wax as soon as possible. Knowing how to change the properties of your wax is also not a bad idea, it will open a whole new world of possibilities. The main ingredient for my ideal wax needs to be paraffin wax simply because I have a whole bag of it. Bees wax also is a great wax to work with but I've realized that its becoming rather rare lately.

I plan to steam out my fax before putting it in the kiln. This will ensure a clean mold. I am looking for a wax that have a low melting point, is strong and captures some serious detail. To see the detail the wax will need to be as dark as possible in colour. I've tested a few recipes in colouring the wax as well as reducing its melting point. The mixtures and results were as follow:

Paraffin wax + vaseline + black pigment = A soft oily wax with a lower melting point and a slightly smaller crystals structure than paraffin wax. The pigment tend to sink down because of its weight. Good idea to use this for the sprues and vents without the pigment. 

Paraffin wax  +  oil paint = A oily wax. The pigment tend to sink down because of its weight.  Same melting point as paraffin wax.

The pigment in the oil paint doesn't mix that great with the wax due to its mass. 

Paraffin wax + crayons = The crayons is very plastic and have a high melting point, The crystal structure of the crayons results is very detailed castings. It's very hard to work with and sets very quickly.

A very solid hard wax with a low melting point that captures a lot of detail. Ideal for fast burnouts.


Paraffin wax + oil pastels = The oil pastels gave the same results as the crayons BUT decreases the pelting point of the wax. It is also a lot more workable. The perfect wax for my scenario with the downside that it shrinks and and expands quite a lot.

A hard wax with a low melting point that captures great detail. The pen in the foreground have a 0.1mm point. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts