Tesing the wax and melting out the investment.

Today I've been able to test steam de-waxing out of an  investment recipe that I got online. Do note that it still needs to be fired in a kiln to dry out properly. This was just an test. The design also need vents before it will be able to work effectively The ingredients for the investment was a mixture of plaster, perlite, silica sand and silica flour. I've found that the mixture sets really quick... even quicker than normal plaster so using cold water might be a good idea to increase the working time. After steaming the wax out for about 10 - 15 minutes I've decided to inspect the detail that this investment delivered. I've cut the mold open in half and this is what the inside looked like. 

The investment cut in half so that I can see and inspect the detail.

The investment still in one piece with the wax steamed out of the investment.
 This was the last experiment before I will start working on the final bronze piece. The actual work is now starting; finishing the sculpture, making several small silicon molds and casting it in wax.

Comments

Popular Posts