Making lamp black oil paint.

Black paint is the paint that I use the least. I do however mix it with blue for a diluted under-painting. There is a few things that you should keep in mind when painting with black, the important one is that black takes longer to dry than any other colour. That said when you paint with for example with white over black the white is guaranteed to crack over time.

Lamp black oil pigment is nothing else than Carbon. In order to get really fine carbon particles I use my oil lamp (hence the name lamp black). The three oils that everyone recommend would be Linseed oil, Olive oil or Grape-seed oil as the oil might also have an effect on the Carbon. I did try that, however the carbon produced is very low, not to mention that it is very difficult to get the lamp to burn. If there is anyone with a trick please share.

Remove the glass and place a metal (a spoon should also work perfectly) above the lamp. The carbon of the flame will now build up on the metal. Every now and then scrape the carbon from the metal and allow the metal to cool down. Here is a photograph of my setup.

Oil paint, recipe, lamp black, pigment, fine art, painting
The process that I have followed for making lamp black.


The carbon can now be mixed with the best quality linseed or walnut oil that you can get your hands on.The result is pretty satisfying. I've decided to start keeping track of the different paints. I want to document its properties for example, transparency and permanence.

Lamp black #1

     

Comments

Popular Posts