The end of the Olla, and I finished another painting.

Unfortunately the firing of my Olla didn't work out. Everytime some of my experiments go wrong it is like art is teaching me a lesson of patience and not to try and take any shortcuts. I suppose I had to bisque the pot first. I placed the Olla under some wood and set it alight... it exploded. When I think of it now I was really dumb. Here is an image of how it turned out.

An Olla gone wrong.


On the positive side I've finished another painting of our wonderful South African landscape. This piece is of somewhere in the Freestate. I am sure that there is a lot of South Africans that is familiar with the location of this piece as it can be seen from the highway between Pretoria and the South Coast. I am starting to focus a lot more on my colours that I use in my pieces and is sure that is can be seen more and more in my art.

Oil painting, fine art, Riaan Coetzee, South Africa, Freestate, Art
Riaan Coetzee, Freestate, Oil on canvass (760mm X 600mm), 2016

I am busy with an experiment where I am trying to make my own pigment for oil paint. In this way I can create Ochres from the landscape that I am painting and apply that paint onto my work. The idea that there is literally minerals from the landscape present in the actual artwork is for me very exciting. This however is still in a very unstable phase as I my main focus for the moment would be to focus on non-poisons paints with a optimal permanence (this is very rare in commercial oil paints). The paint should also have a very good consistency and should be pleasant to paint with.




Comments

Popular Posts