Making Ochre Oil paints

I've never in my life questioned how oil paints are made, that is until about a week ago when I got a really nice primer recipe that required some titanium white oxide. I was then for the first time in my life introduced to the concept that I can make my own oil paints using these store pigments. Also I would like to mention that the prices for these pigments are not bad at all.

After a bit of research I have found that professional oil paints is nothing more than a binder (Linseed Oil or Wall nut oil ) and pigment. The difference between professional Oil colors and those sold to students and learners is the fact that the pigment might be diluted, replaced by synthetic imitations of the real pigment and chemicals that might be added to prolong the shell life of the paint. Don't get me wrong, a lot of research goes into these paints to assure permanence and great quality.

I then took my research one step further and started to try and find out how these pigments are made. Some pigments are a lot of trouble to extract the colour from pure minerals. Other colours can be extracted by simple chemistry. This is the main reason why I started studying and using my periodic table again after seven years. The last time I used on of those was in school but now for the first time that I use it for something practical I am starting to see the pure genius of that table.

The easiest oil paint that I can make doesn't use too much labour or complex chemistry. These paints are more the natural earthy colours called Ochres. Ochres are made from clay harvested from the earth. The idea is to grind the clay into a very fine powder. Before I start with the heavy grinding work I would first sift my powdered clay though a very fine sieve. The grinding takes place on a glass sheet (or something like marble or granite - seems to be a lot more durable than glass) and should be grinded with a glass muller. This will take some time, but one should not stop until your have a paint with a really good consistency.

DIY, paint, Oil colour, pigment, natural, art, painting
The process of turning mud/clay into Ochre paints.

Making lamp black is a lot simpler, and I will share that in my next post.    

Comments

Popular Posts