Building an Olla - Part2

The clay dried for about a day until it was leather hard. The clay was then removed from the bottle by cutting it loose in two halves, thanks to the newspaper it was very easy to remove it from the bottle. On the edges where I've glued (using clay) the olla back together I've used a knife to scratch the surface. Adding a bit of vinegar in your clay will also help making the seam stronger.

Next what I have to do is to wait for the clay to dry properly. The drying should take about a week. Once the clay is dry its time to fire the Olla. Over the past years I've learned a few very effective wood firing techniques, but the one that I'm planning is the easiest and most accessible for anyone and that would be to use a normal kettle braai.
 

Clay, ceramics, olla,
The two halves of the olla remove from the wine bottle.
olla, ceramics, Diy, clay, glass bottle
OK, I ended up decorating it a bit... it still doesn't look that great, but who cares.

Comments

Popular Posts