A Vervet Monkey (South African South coast)

Now that I've gotten into the whole painting mood there is no stopping me. I've now finished a painting of a Vervet Monkey, also known a "Blou aap" in Afrikaans . The one that I specifically painted is from the South Coast in South Africa. The style for this painting is a bit more rougher that my previous piece but captures the essence and characteristics of these creatures perfectly.

This painting is painted using oil on board. I've found that is works out cheaper than ready made canvass and is a lot more durable and have a longer archival value. I hope to make my next few pieces of the South African landscape. I also wish to make my own properly sized linen canvass primed using the traditional egg method.

I still find myself in a position where I have to to continuous research on oil painting in order to improve my style as well as working on properly prepared mediums. The atmospherical work of  William Turner got me really inspired and excited for my next pieces. I really can't wait to get painting outside and experience the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets. 

Riaan Coetzee, Painting, Fine art, Oil
Riaan Coetzee, A Vervet Monkey, Oil on board (600mm X 1200mm), 2016

Comments

Popular Posts