Building an olla

I've finally got to the point of building an Olla. For a very long time I've done research on this amazing pot and for another long time I simply never got to time to make one. I guess I've wondered for another great chunk of the time what the easiest way would be to build one.

How an Olla works and what is is used for will be left aside for another post. This particular olla will be buried under the ground, so I didn't spend any time at all on the aesthetics. I started out using an old round carafe shaped wine bottle, but I guess anything with the right shape should work. Wrapping newspaper around the bottle before applying clay will act as a sort of mold release. After the newspaper I've stuck the clay around the surface of the bottle. The clay will be cut of the bottle once it reaches the correct hardness.

I will make another post once I've removed the clay.

Olla,, glass bottle, functional design,
A wine bottle covered in newspaper.

olla, glass bottle, making, DIY, clay
The very natural earthy shape of my olla.
    

Comments

Popular Posts