The plaster mold

Our very first plaster mold is finished. I have to admit that the first view castings didn't go exactly as planned. To me more honest till now (two days later) I still haven't been able to cast a 100% successful mug. There are so many factors that needs to be considered when casting with slip clay for example the consistency of the slip, the shape of the mold, the dryness of the mold and the duration that the clay should be left in the mold.

Mold, ceramic, casting, plaster, Riaan Coetzee,
Our very first plaster mold for slip casting. It still needs some air tubes and touch-ups.


Last night I have finally got a recipe that worked for the time that the clay should be left inside the mold, the clay consistency is now also perfect. The only thing that is standing in my way is the fact that the plaster should be perfectly dry... so patience is the only way now for me to make a successful cast.  

Hopefully tomorrow or after the weekend I will be able to show some epic castings and then after that I will start looking into the glazing and firing.  

Till next time!

Comments

Popular Posts