Starting with my self-portrait

I've officially started working on the first piece for the portrait exhibition. Here is a photograph of how I typically approach painting portraits. This is a self-portrait painted on really nice textured canvass. The natural texture of the canvass have a slightly rough linen texture and have an extra coat of Gesso applied with a medium sized palette knife. I really like to work in layers when it comes to portraits. I've started of with reddish base colour. Over the base colour I've worked with blue brush sketches for my basic composition. My composition is then further refined using blue and white shading. As soon as I am completely satisfied with my proportions I will add my background and then will be working on my skin tone. Once everything is dry the piece will be finished of with some glazing and scumbling.

Riaan Coetzee, Self-portrait in progress,Oil on canvas, 2015

Comments

Popular Posts