Exploring clay

This year I would really like to understand clay a lot better. In the past I've always worked with air drying clay. It worked really well for what I needed. After some research I have discoverer pit firing/barrel firing. This is ceramic firing method that does not require a kiln and apart from that leaves you with some really amazing natural colours and textures on you work.

After my first attempt at firing my artworks I have realized that there is a huge difference between sculpting for making a mold and sculpting for firing. When you are sculpting to fire your work you have to pay close attention to things such as; air bubbles within the clay, to connect clay in the correct way and that your artwork should also be hollow.

Firing your artwork using pitfiring is an art on its own. Last week me and Karma did a quick portrait out of clay. The portrait doesn't have a bust mainly because it is a test and we didn't want to spend to much time on it. Now we have to leave the clay to dry properly. If the firing went well I will post our process.    


Here is a photograph of our sculpture that we will attempt firing using the pit firing method.






Karma Bosman & Riaan Coetzee, 2015, exploring pit-firing I, Clay
Karma Bosman & Riaan Coetzee, 2015, exploring pit-firing II, Clay

Enjoy the rest of your day :)

Comments

Popular Posts