One monster of a MONDAY !!!

So today was crazy, but that is also when you get the most done. Here is an illustration that I did today with my tablet. Its not extremely refined, but I like how you can still see when its been done with a tablet. I've also added the process from sketches on paper to the final illustration.

The sketch, using pencil followed by pen. This sketch is based on various reference images of  geckos, bearded dragons, birds and even bone structures.


I started with a black brush on a new layer with a "multiply" blending mode. This helps me to give the overall shape of the subject.


Another mid-tone layer helps me to add highlights to the illustration.

Then I added colour to my illustration. I chose a strong direct light to give it a nice chiaroscuro effect.

Riaan Coetzee, 2014, Digital Illustration, The Jozi Dragon

And finally the final illustration with a quick background (so that its doesn't draw your attention from the main subject) and added title. Hope you like it!

Comments

Popular Posts