Traveling & Coil Vase Pottery

This weekend we went on a little getaway to the Magalies mountains. Needless to say, nothing was made this weekend (except history). It was our first road trip together alone, and there were a few ups and downs (not only on the hiking trail). Was definitely many leaning curves (again, excuse the pun) and despite not everything going according to our (lack of) planning, we had a strangely wonderful time. 

Small flowers & Moss in the Magalies Mountains.  
Last week I, Riaan, spent my after-hours creating two coil vases. This was my first time to create something using the coil technique. I am quite surprised by how easy it is comparing to wheel work. After I made the perfect round pot I bent them by pulling it in the way one would pull to make the handle of a mug. I noticed that the pot tends to bend itself back as it dries, so I started bending it a bit more than the curve you would intend. The coil technique allows me to create larger more organic shapes. The one thing that is worth mentioning is that it takes a lot longer than working with the wheel, but is most certainly worth the effort. 

I hope to make about 14 of these pots where 7 of them will be pit fired, for a conceptual piece, and the other seven will be glazed. This will most probably take very long, but luckily for me I don't have a deadline for these pieces. 

Raw, unglased coil pottery.


Hope you like these so far :)






Comments

Popular Posts