First ever direct lost wax cast.

The past weekend I've attempted my first ever direct lost wax cast. Instead of casting a proper piece that I've spent days on I've decided to cast something very simple that is very easy to make. I've lost a huge amount of detail, but at least I've ended up with something. In the process I've learned so many things that will improve future casts. I've realized that a warmer mold will deliver better results. Along with a warmer mold I will also improve the direction of my vents. Another thing that I want to look into is a way to dioxide my bronze without having the coals floating directly on my bronze.

My first Lost wax casted sculpture.

My bronze have a pink colour that I really like but didn't expect. At the moment I am using a 90% copper 10% tin ratio but would probably soon switch to a silicon bronze.

Close-up of the detail that I have lost during the casting process.


On Sunday Karma came to visit, she then decided to do a wax sculpture of our dachshund (and the model behaved surprisingly good). Last night I got into the mood to build something and sculpted a Chameleon from reference photos that I took when one decided to visit our garden. We hope to cast our two pieces this coming weekend.

Karma's quick wax sculpture made from observation.... Our pet dog.

The Chameleon that visited our yard.

Comments

Popular Posts