Practicing my welding skills.

This year I will be focusing on the art form that I like the most. I want to focus on sculptures, more specifically concrete and steel sculptures. That being said I have to admit that my welding stills are definitely not up to scratch. In the past when I've welded my main focus was just to get the two metals to stick as strong as possible together. The reason for that is that you won't really see the welding as its usually covered by the concrete. For my next sculpture the welding needs to be strong as well as aesthetically pleasing. I will be welding the wings and frame of a dragonfly. The frame will be covered by concrete but on the wings the welding will be visible. I know that I can always just grind the welding neat afterwards, but for me there is nothing as showing of good skill and craftsmanship as raw neat welding stitches.

Riaan Coetzee, welding -test, steel, 2016

Riaan Coetzee, welding -test close-up, steel, 2016


Last night I've started practicing my welding. I have to admit that apart from a few not so great attempts the general impression was quite promising. I've worked with 5mm steel rods with the textures edges. My final piece will also be made out of 5mm steel rods but without the riffled edges.

Apart from practicing my welding I've also looked at the design. After I've created my design in vector software I've printed my plans out. I look forward to work more on this piece in the evenings.    

Riaan Coetzee, reinforcement drawing, technical sketches, 2016
        

Comments

Popular Posts