Casting in concrete

It’s been quite a while since I've posted any new projects on my blog. I guess it’s never too late to wish everyone a Happy and Successful new year!

For this sculpture I've experimented with latex casting. Usually I'm more into casting with Silicon, but for some reason I had a 1l bottle of latex and decided to give it a go. The reinforcement in this sculpture is probably the strongest of all my sculptures. My reinforcement consists of really technically thorough steel reinforcement as well as fibre reinforcement mixed into the concrete. 

To create the mold I've painted about 15 layers of latex over my clay model. The latex was then covered with a resin shell. As soon as the resin has dried properly I've washed the clay out, leaving me with a once off semi-transparent mold.

After the concrete has been poured in and dried properly I broke of the latex and resin shell.

This Is what the final product looks like.  

Riaan Coetzee, Concrete portrait, Concrete and steel, 2016

Comments

Popular Posts