Stretching linen canvass

This weekend was 'n really relaxing but effective long weekend. On Thursday I did a guest presentation for the grade11 design class at Girls High on graphic design. It was fun to sharing my passion with others.

After the presentation Karma and I got all the needed things to stretch our own canvasses. We're each planning to make an oil painting. The following day I've stretched my canvass. It took a bit longer than I've expected. The reason for this is that it has been my first time to stretch canvass on Masonite board. After everything it turned out as a high quality, properly prepared, stretched canvass. You might now ask; why do all the trouble stretching your own canvass if you can just buy it in-store? Stretching your own canvass have lots of benefits, you can now have absolute control over the quality of your canvass, you can give the canvass your own texture to go with the painting that you are planning, you can have it specifically to the proportions and size that you want (the reason I did it) and it might even work out slightly cheaper.

In my final Gesso coat I've added a little bit of "red" and "Burnt Sienna" so that my background colour isn't that bright white. Here is an example of what my canvass looks like.


The final stretched canvass (linen) on 3mm Masonite board.
I've added a little extra canvass around the edges that might become useful when framing the canvass.

We also spent a day at a dam near Magliesburg where we took a some cool photos. I hope to blog them tomorrow so stay on the lookout! Have a great day!
 

   

Comments

Popular Posts