A painting of a Rooster.

What a relaxing, but super productive weekend. I started and finished an oil painting of a rooster. For reference I used a photograph Karma took at a restaurant after our hike a few weeks ago. I tried taking the photo myself, but it seems like the chickens took some sort of liking to Karma. At the moment I'm exploring different techniques, and don't want to spend too much time on the concept. I guess right now the motivation behind my pieces is to capture and explore the beauties that life has to offer as well as to explore oil paint as a medium.

This painting went a lot quicker than any of my previous paintings. It was also the first time that I have used a huge brush (#7) along with some linseed oil. I used the large brush to create a foundation shape for further refinement, adding more and more detail.    

The three brushes that I have used for the painting.

So here is a photograph of the painting, I wish it was possible to show you the actual piece, as the photo doesn't do it justice. Because of the wet paint the photograph got some reflections on the top right hand corner. I hope you all like it though.  

Riaan Coetzee, 2015, Rooster, Oil on Canvass, 915mm X 915mm
A close-up of the eye, showing the rough brush strokes.

Apart from the painting that I finished, I've started reading Frankenstein, I'm at chapter 15 and have to admit that I'm not a big reader, but this book is a must read for everyone.

Now that the week has started it is time for me to work really hard to get this week's work done. We've got something special planned for the coming weekend, so stay on the lookout.

Have Great week!

Comments

Popular Posts